The National Museum of Fine Arts of Cuba is composed of two main buildings: the Cuban art and universal art. The institution responsible for treasure, restore, preserve, promote and investigate the works that are part of our heritage plastic. It has a set of rooms in which collections of ancient art, European collections, theaters specializing in the art of Cuban teachers of all time and temporary exhibitions hosting artistic creation of national and foreign artists are exhibited. It also has a library specializing in plastic arts and a large collection of magazines and catalogs.
The high qualification of its specialists allows the National Museum of Fine Arts develop different educational nature activities as guided visits in English and Italian, specialist visits, by renowned curators and educational work with schools and community. The company also sells reproductions, serigraphs, posters, books, catalogs, postcards and gift items, all with the exclusive image of the Museum.
The National Museum of Fine Arts began in 1873, its first director and founder Emilio Heredia Moral gathered capital for great architecture, which was sponsored by grants from different institutions both civil and religious. Most of the donated works were historical, but also had archaeological, ethnographic and artistic donations, among others.
The museum was reopened in 1913. After this year several causes prompted the museum was moved several times of place: it was forced to move to the Quinta de Toca (Avenida Carlos III), which caused the closure of the establishment in 1917 to 1919. In 1923 the state gave the Quinta de Toca to Lasalle Brothers religious order, reopening its rooms 1924. in mid-1996 the institution was forced to close again, the museum being exposed to equity remodeling.
On July 18, 2001, the National Museum of Fine Arts reopened its doors after a major refurbishment, being structured in two significant facilities, which shows the historical evolution of Cuban art and notable collections of ancient art, European art , American and Asian, in about 47 628 works; of which more than 45 000 are national patrimony and about 2000 are on deposit.
Located in Trocadero Street, between Zulueta and Monserrate, Old Town, find the new modern building where the most important existing collection of Cuban art from the National Museum of Fine Arts, ranging from the far XVI century to today is exposed. In its spacious rooms collections of various art forms such as sculpture, painting, drawing and printmaking, making it possible to admire the historical evolution of Cuban art exhibit.
Among the collections on display, divided into four blocks, highlights the colonial prints of the XIX century (Art Colony), the works produced between 1898 and 1920 (Change of the Century), the avant-garde of the early XX century (Art modern) and the series of the great Cuban masters like Fidelio Ponce, Victor Manuel, Carlos Enriquez and Wilfredo Lam (Contemporary Art) .It highlights individual spaces reserved for outstanding artists of each period.
Located in San Rafael Street, between Zulueta and Monserrate, Old Town, found the former Asturian Center of Havana (Spanish eclectic architecture) where the fabulous collections of universal art National Museum of Fine Arts including thematic sets of works exposed all areas or important areas of Western art, which determines that the National Museum surpass other similar institutions in Latin America.
Among the collections exhibited collection of art of antiquity and the European painting that runs through the British Italian and Flemish Renaissance, Baroque Spanish, French paintings of the XIX and XVIII century stands. Its rooms also have valuable painting selection of colonial Latin American, North American plastic of the XVIII and XIX centuries, the most representative international art of the late XX and interesting examples of Asian art. Particularly striking is the classic collection of ancient art, with a rich set of sculptures and ceramics from Egypt, Greece and Rome.