Privileged capital city that forms two redoubts of the magnitude of the Castle of the Three Kings of the Morro, the most emblematic one of the Cuban fortresses initiated in 1630 and the fortress of San Carlos de la Cabaña, cataloged at that moment like the summit work of the system Defensive.
El Faro, next to the Castle, has become through time as an imperishable symbol of Havana. After beginning its restoration in 1986, the Castle joined, together with the Fortress of San Carlos de La Cabaña, the Morro-Cabaña Military Historical Park.
On the other hand, the Fortress of San Carlos de la Cabaña named in honor of King Carlos III, is the largest military facility created by Spain in America and currently constitutes a large historical museum with a valuable collection of objects and documents of the time.
Castillo de los Tres Reyes del Morro
It is the most emblematic of the Cuban Fortresses. Its construction began in 1589 and ended in 1630, by the Italian military engineer Juan Bautista Antonelli, on the east side of the access channel to the port of Havana, in Havana of the East today. This fortress looks like an irregular polygon, as its builders had to adapt to the topographic characteristics of the reef on which it was erected.
With a crew of 200 men and several batteries of cannon, it was a key element in the defense of Havana against frequent attacks by pirates and privateers. In 1762, during the taking of Havana by the English, the Castle, commanded by Captain Luis V. Velasco, heroically he resisted for several weeks the siege of joint troops of the British army and navy, are commanded respectively by Count Albemarle and Admiral Sir George Pocock.
The invaders could only seize Havana after blow a mine under the walls of the castle. A few years after its construction, the castle was annexed a lighthouse, which originally was used lime and stone and wood as fuel. In 1845, the old lighthouse was replaced by another ashlar, 45 meters above sea level, the same as is currently appreciated and is one of the most famous images of Havana internationally.
The lighthouse, next to the Castillo de los Tres Reyes del Morro, has become imperishable symbol of Havana. After its restoration started in 1986, the castle became part, along with the Fortress of San Carlos de La Cabaña, Historical Park Morro-Cabaña Military.
Fortress of San Carlos de La Cabaña
Near the Morro is the Fortress of San Carlos de la Cabaña, most of those built by Spain in the New World, with over 700 meters of wall, and shored up the defensive system of Havana after the bitter experience which he involved British occupation. This fort was build on 4 November 1763 and work was completed in 1774.
Architecturally designed by French engineer M. De Valliere, included in his design drawings made by M. Ricaud of Targale. Don Agustin Sotolongo, at that time owner of the land now occupied the fortress, donated free for the execution of the work. The formidable fortress shaped polygon with bastions, terraces, moats, drawbridges, barracks, storage tanks and warehouses also defended by thick stone walls, was a virtually impregnable citadel.
Its privileged position made him a bulwark to defend the city and the port, for which it had a large number of artillery pieces. A number of cannons melted in Barcelona in the XVIII century, symbolically continue to keep this strong, showing his luxurious decoration shields in high and low reliefs, each with his name engraved.
This fort is named in part to the place where it was built, known as Cerro de la Cabaña and partly to the Spanish king who ordered his execution, Carlos III, who upon learning of the cost (14 million hard), asked to be reached spectacles, exclaiming 'a work that has cost both must be from Madrid'. For his admirable and solid construction was considered the first fortress America at the time it was built and the most significant of Cuba.