Information about the area of accommodation in Baracoa
Known as the Primate City, Baracoa is located on the north-eastern tip of the island, it was the first town founded by the Spanish in the process of colonization, and it was the first capital. Villa of Our Lady of the Assumption of Baracoa, was the name given by the advanced and conqueror Diego Velasquez baptizing it on August 15, 1511. In it was the first church, which in 1518 was erected in cathedral with bishop by bull Of Pope Leo X, the great Pope of the Renaissance, being his first bishop fray Bernardino de Mesa.
The name of the town has its origin in an aboriginal word that means "presence of the sea", in frank allusion of its original settlers to an influence of the marine environment. Its inhabitants are dedicated to the exploitation of forest resources, the production of cocoa and chocolate, coconut, and coffee. The natural landscape is complemented by a flat mountain 575 meters high that can be seen from any point, known as El Yunque de Baracoa.
In the Greater Church the Cruz de la Parra is exhibited, one of the 29 that Christopher Columbus planted in the lands of America. Its authenticity has been scientifically proven and is the only one that survives from that fact. More than 60 archaeological sites survive as a mark of the Taino culture, the most advanced of the Island in the arrival of the Spaniards.
The mountains of Baracoa constitute one of the emporiums of flora and fauna in the Insular Caribbean, region included among the 34 points "hot" of biodiversity of the planet, according to the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF-Canada). The area accounts for only seven percent of Cuba's surface, the greatest diversity of landscapes and vegetation types in the Caribbean Islands, and the Toa, the largest river in Cuba, and its 70 tributaries, Marked in its passage by numerous waterfalls, the most famous known as The Saltadero with 17 meters of height.
To Baracoa is reached by air, from the capital or other eastern cities. And also by road, from the city of Guantánamo, by taking a very peculiar route that winds through the mountains and responds to the name of La Farola, with 11 hanging bridges and the most relevant point in Altos de Cotilla, more than 600 meters above sea level.
The Castle of Seboruco
Baracoa's most famous viewpoint dates from the 18th century, and although it is not recognized as such, nobody doubts that the best view of the city is from the old Castle of Seboruco de Santa Bárbara. The installation designed by Captain Pedro Oviedo and built between 1739-1741 is located in the northwestern part of the Primada City on a skirt of more than 100 m above sea level, a position that made it possible to keep control of Baracoa Bay, the bay Of Honey and the rest of the locality. It was the third building of the defensive system of this city, reason why it was declared National Monument in 1978.
Its purpose varied with different governments and circumstances: in 1898 it housed the invading American troops; During the pseudorepública became a center of repression and torture; And after 1959 it was used as militia barracks. The most notable transformations of the place include reconstructions in 1807, 1854, 1902, while in the 70's of the twentieth century they changed their functions and became a lodging center. Its architectural features, coupled with the particularities of the enclave area, give this building and its surroundings a great monumental value.
Places of Interest of Baracoa:
Hotel El Castillo, Hotel Porto Santo, Hotel La Rusa, Villa Maguanas, Viaduct La Farola, Playa de la Miel, Duaba Beach, Maguana Beach, Playa Blanca, Restaurant 1511, La Casa del Chocolate, Matachín Fortress, Castillo Seboruco de Santa Barbara, La Punta Fort, Our Lady of the Assumption Parish Church of Baracoa, Alejandro de Humboldt National Park, Rio Toa, Trova House, El Yunque de Baracoa, among others.